Monday, May 7, 2012

Don't Jinx Your Team by Worrying About Jinxes

This is the time of year when everybody's worrying about jinxing their team.

Don't worry.

It doesn't matter what jersey you're wearing, or what you ate, or where you parked outside the arena ... because everybody else is worried, too. I got a chuckle this weekend as the LA Kings finished their sweep of the St. Louis Blues. Once a MeiGray program team reaches the Stanley Cup semis, we get a flood of requests for Finals jerseys.

And virtually every request we got last night said the same thing ... "I don't want to jinx them, but ..."

Think about it. The only jinx that matters is the one about being worried about jinxes. I didn't say the word no-hitter for the first 40 years of my life, and the New York Mets, my beloved baseball team, still has not thrown one in nearly 8,000 games of their existence.

Now I say no-hitter during every game after a Met gets a 1-2-3 first inning ... and they still haven't thrown one. I'm starting to believe I have nothing to do with it.

If you requested a Finals jersey for the Bruins last season after they won Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay, how did that work out?

By the way, I had planned to blog this on Saturday ... but I didn't want to jinx the Kings yesterday.




No comments:

Post a Comment